Catastrophic predictions regarding the future of email promotions look like they are about to become a classic. The figures however, tell a different story. 86% of Internet users worldwide and 91% of Internet users in the United States have an email account and check their inbox on a daily basis.
The Next Web has carried out a study that proves that email marketing is still going strong. They have included six tips that will help increase the effectiveness of this type of message for your hotel, or any other business for that matter:
1) Place your clients. It is essential to understand how and where users interact with companies. This way you can control and follow your campaigns. This is achieved using a client map.
2) Be careful with automatic and mass emails. While it undeniable that automatic processes are quick and save time, bombarding Internet users with emails can be counterproductive. The use of this type of tool is advisable when the client has already stayed in the hotel or bought a product in a shop. Once the purpose of the purchase has been achieved, it is appropriate to send brief, to the point surveys. These are a great, constructive, resource that will help us gauge consumer satisfaction as well as identify possible aspects that can be improved on in the future.
3) Added value. These two words have become a mantra in the marketing world. The message the client receives must be useful to them. Therefore, before clicking send, ask yourself regarding the campaign’s content: who, what, when, why and what for.
4) Patience is a virtue. When you want to tighten client bonds and become more personal, you have to take your time. It is a progressive process: start with the basics (thank them for visiting your website) and slowly request more specific details (birthday, marital status). Remember, clients won’t just give you their data out of the goodness of their heart, they expect an incentive, such as discounts.
5) Trial and error. As if working in a laboratory, it is important to try, investigate and change what doesn’t work. By monitoring the results you can make sure that your campaigns always obtain the best yield. And it works both ways; the only indicator we have along the way is the response from our clients.
6) Turn a goodbye into a see you later. Even though at times it is unavoidable, if we loose a subscriber to our mailing list or we see that they haven’t opened the messages for a long time, we need to try and discover way. Prevention and segmentation are the two things to enforce to make sure this happens as little as possible.
Apart from getting the content right, it is vital that the messages have a responsive design allowing them to be read on any device. Otherwise, their reach will be limited. As Whatsnew explains, the aim is to allow subscribers to interact with what we are sending them, that won’t be possible if we don’t publish the messages using a design that takes into account the size of the screen.
At Innwise we always take these points into account and offer our hotelier clients a direct and efficient email marketing service.